Friday, October 06, 2006

book review 10.06 - Windblown World


Over the past couple of weeks I read the book "Windblown World". It's essentially the journals of writer Jack Kerouac, composed and edited into one compilation by Douglas Brinkley. The journals cover Kerouac's day to day thoughts and activities while writing the books "The Town and the City" and "On The Road". It also covers Kerouac's many cross-country roadtrips as well as some of his personal insights into people, life, etc.

The book is an amazing read, Kerouac uses some of the most well constructed written descriptions imaginable that literally paint amazing pictures of what he saw or what he was going through at that time. I actually wrote down my favorite quotes in the back of the book and recorded the page number for future reference. Here's one quote I wrote down pertaining to art:

"An art dies when it describes itself instead of life-when it turns from the expression of man's feelings in the void, to a mere description of the void." Jack Kerouac, p.267

I recommend this book to any creative (artist, designer, photographer, etc) as another source of inspiration. There were times I couldn't put it down...there were also times I had to put it down because I couldn't figure out what he was trying to say! My point...you get involved with it and the writing challenges you to figure "it" out. Check out Windblown World and see for yourself!

2 comments:

ben said...

joe, good to see some posts here again. i havn't read Windblown World- thanks.

if you like journal type writing, you really should pick up a copy of The Daybooks of Edward Weston if you havn't already read it. it's difficult finding a photographer (or any artist for that matter) that is so articulate and obsessed with writing. it's an incredible volume- the most imprtant thing i have read in regards to how i see, live with, and approach my own work.

be well.
ben

abstractLatte said...

Sounds interesting! I'll have to go to Borders and check it out after class!